Saturday, June 7, 2014

your veins have words to say

Hey you,

Face the facts, you're completely unsure of yourself. Your skull is numb and it's spreading to the rest of you like an infectious disease. It'll be a sad day when you're feeling everything in the world but not actually feeling it. But enough of the deep stuff. Tell me about yourself. Do you listen to music when you drive? Do you like the sound of your own voice? Do you trust that your heart will keep beating until it doesn't anymore?

How can you be so sure that the world is spinning? You think I'm here lurking in your closet like those monsters you were once so afraid of. Those weren't real so I guess I'm not either, right? I'm waiting for you to notice the veins on your arms. Maybe then you'll realize that I'm never around, I'm never lurking.

I'm hugging the contours of your body from the inside, I'm in your bloodstream and the view's great. You're so sure that one day I'll emerge from the darkness to rip your heart from your chest, but I'm not keen on suicide.

Your skull is numb, but I'm hopeless without you.

Can't you see that? I couldn't stand a day without you. And when I go, I'm taking you with me. Is that harsh? Is that only acceptable when you're fabulously aged and the words on your bucket list are all crossed out? I don't care. If you're young and still a bit naive, I'm bringing you with me wherever it is we're going. I'm hopeless without you.

Love will find you one day. But for now don't forget me in your chest - always asking questions.


Always,




4 comments:

  1. I've read this in 3 different sittings now. And I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [applause]

    I really like this.

    And the most important question: do you listen to music when you drive? People who don't listen to music fascinate me. In a bad way.

    ReplyDelete